From "Duncan, Terry" <Terry.Dun...@53.com>
Subject RE: Maintenance Question
Date Wed, 24 Sep 2008 15:18:14 GMT
Thanks for the input Harry !

I really didn't want to have to cycle the task in order to get the backup either..... but
since we, from time to time, move TOMCAT from system to system, I couldn't get the DSS backup
to work unless I ran it on the system where the Wiki was running..... The only way to ensure
that was to put it in the Wiki PROC and cycle to get the backup.

Thanks for the cleanup help !
Terry

-----Original Message-----
From: Harry Metske [mailto:harry.metske@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, September 19, 2008 11:50 AM
To: jspwiki-user@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Maintenance Question

Terry,

first, I don't think it's necessary to recycle Tomcat or JSPWiki every day.
We don't do that either, the most important thing you want to backup are the
wiki pages and attachments, the chance that these files are open during
backup are minimal, and if they are, you probably have a version-1 of that
page.
(We do a daily full file system (HFS) backup to a GDS , and keep a couple of
versions)

Anyway, the log files you mention are created by Tomcat, and it depends on
the way you configure it. To get rid of them you could run a daily script
like:
*
#
# clean up tomcat logs:
export filenames='manager.* access_log.* host-manager.* admin.* catalina.*
localhost.*.log'
for filename in $filenames
do
  #echo $filename
  find /usr/local/tomcat/logs -type f -name $filename -mtime +5 -exec rm -v
{} ';'
done
*
(It throws away all files that match the mentioned masks, and that haven't
been modified the last 5 days)

regards,
Harry

--