From "Skip Cole" <rc...@usip.org>
Subject Re: incorporating JSPWiki into our peace tool
Date Sat, 09 Aug 2008 15:25:39 GMT
Hi,

I did not mean to imply that it does. Actually that is the
kind of behavior I'm trying to avoid.

My problem really is that I want to cut away a lot of the
wiki, so all an actor sees is the one page that is
particular to them: one document accessible to a group of
actors in one particular playing session of one particular
simulation in one particular organization's database
schema.

(If I'm passing a URL to do this it might look something
like this:
http://peaceplatform.org?schema=usip&sim_id=1&running_sim_id=5&page_id=69&actor_id=99
)

Locating a document in our 'simulation universe' should be
transparent to the user, so all of this has to be taken
care of programmatically - and our tool can do just that.
But presenting a document with 'wiki-like' characteristics
in side of our universe is the trick.

I can see I'm going to have to dig around in the code to
do this. Its always just hard for me to gauge if making
someone else's code is easier than just making it work
myself. I don't like re-writing stuff, but sometimes it is
quicker.

Best,
Skip

On Sat, 9 Aug 2008 14:31:34 +0300
  Janne Jalkanen <Janne.Jalkanen@ecyrd.com> wrote:

> JSPWiki does not do "whoever saves last wins" - the
>pages are locked  while they are being edited, and people
>are given a strong warning  prior to editing.
>
> Is this sufficient?  You can fine-tune the policy by
>editing the JSP  files.
>
> /Janne
>
> On Aug 8, 2008, at 00:12 , Ronald Cole wrote:
>
>> Dear JSPWiki Community Member,
>>
>> Here at the United States Institute of Peace we are
>>working on a
>> tool to allow people to create online training
>>simulations. It is
>> an open source tool, and I believe we will be
>>incorporating the
>> JSPWiki into part of it.
>>
>> Frequently in these simulations the players will need to
>>be working
>> on a shared document. We could just tell them to save
>>and refresh
>> often, and that 'who ever saves last wins' but it seems
>>that given
>> the availability of wiki software that we can do better
>>than that.
>>
>> Players will log in to the web site where their
>>simulation is
>> running, so I want to make this work for their
>>authentication into
>> the wiki. (These are just training scenarios, so it is a
>>low
>> security application.) Once they are in, and tab over to
>>the page
>> where the shared document exists, I just want them to
>>see a page
>> where they can edit, but acts kind of like a wiki: they
>>will be
>> able to see previous versions, people won't be able to
>>clobber each
>> other's works, it will have some sort of auto-refresh
>>built into
>> it, etc.
>>
>> If you have any ideas or suggestions on this, please let
>>me know.
>>
>> Thanks in Advance,
>> Skip
>>
>> Ronald "Skip" Cole
>> Senior Program Officer
>> United States Institute of Peace (http://www.usip.org)
>> (202)457-1700 ext 4717
>>
>> "It should be our pride to teach ourselves as well as we
>>can always
>> to speak and write as simply and clearly and
>>unpretentiously as
>> possible, and to avoid like the plague the appearance of
>>possessing
>> knowledge which is too deep to be clearly and simply
>>expressed." --
>> Karl Popper
>>

>> <unknown.gif>

Ronald "Skip" Cole
Program Officer
United States Institute of Peace
(http://www.usip.org)

(202)457-1700 ext 4717
“The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war” –
Asian Proverb