From "Christophe Dupriez" <christophe.dupr...@poisoncentre.be>
Subject Re: page metadata again
Date Mon, 21 Jul 2008 08:48:16 GMT
Hi Bob!

Interesting discussion and proposals!

I would like to emphazize the need of page structures associated with page types.

One may think that what I want is a data base, not a Wiki: it is partly true, I would like
to combine important advantages of a data base with those of a Wiki.

Some applications examples:
* Application parameterisation: Imagine that paragraphs (groups of lines) within a .properties
becomes a Wiki page. The documentation would be integrated within the page and parameter values
could be field values of a WikiForm.
  Here the pages could be replaced when a newer version of the application would be installed
BUT the data in the fields would be stored separately. The user would see a dynamic merge
between a Form and metadata values.
  Goodbye awful XML files for application parameters!
  So for me, a page type would be a template containing a Form where page (meta)data is merged
automatically to produce the page presented to the user. There would be to display mode (separate
template?): one "read only" and another one "edit mode"
* Encyclopedia: pages of a given category (type) would require a name, a translated name in
english, synonyms, antonyms, grammatical characteristics and a definition. Those could be
edited through fields in a form to guarantee that the structure is respected
* Any kind of directory: names, structured information and the description/definition (with
Wikitext)

Personnaly, I like the idea of "Namespace" where projects and types are represented in a hierarchy
of prefixes to page name (your option 2).
As I said before, the only thing needed and beneficial anyway, is a "beefed up" rename function
to rename a whole hierarchy of page. For instance, rename XXXXX.{*} to YYYYY.{1}

So, my personal proposal:

(metadataX indicates any name for a metadata field, valueX the corresponding value)

project.type.page  contains  [{SET metadata1='value1'}][{SET metadata2='value2'}]...
project.TEMPLATES.type.DEFAULT contains default values for metadata: [{SET metadata1='value1'}][{SET
metadata2='value2'}]...
project.TEMPLATES.type.DISPLAY contains a display template where ${metadataX} indicates where
the different metadata fields are inserted. One may want to be able to indicate conditional
labels appearing only when metadataX exists.     Something like ${metadataX?text if metadataX
exists:text if metadataX does not exist} could do the trick.
project.TEMPLATES.type.EDIT would contain an edit form where fields are metadata fields that
will be stored.

With some moral support (and critics/suggestions!) of the community, I may implement this...
or help anyone involved.

Christophe Dupriez
Centre Antipoisons-Antigifcentrum
C/o Hôpital Central de la Base Reine Astrid
Rue Bruyn
1120 Bruxelles
Belgique
tel 32-(0)2.264.96.36