From "Bob Paige" <bobpa...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: creating new pages
Date Wed, 18 Jun 2008 01:15:49 GMT
Murray,

Well spoken response.

In my workplace we have many projects (say, 15) with one or two new ones
added each year. They are all similar, though the implementations vary
(different back-ends, etc.) and all are actively maintained. Thus, I foresee
new pages being added at a slow but steady pace, and existing ones
continuously refined.

Since my user-base is not especially inclined to writing documentation, I
want to make this all as automatic as possible. Thus, I feel that things
like tags and namespaces can go a long way to automating the linking
process. JSPWiki provides good search capability, so I am not as concerned
about 'lost islands of pages'.

I imagine the usage would work something like this:
1. there is a one page that lists all active projects as links to those
project pages
2. on each project page (in addition to text describing the scope and
audience of the project) are lists of links to related documentation. This
includes marketing analysis/description and technical implementation.
2a. alternately the project page consists of a list of major project
features with analysis/description/implementation broken down by feature
(I'm not sure which structure will win out, so I may just leave it open for
the users to decide)
3. each feature/implementation page will have some tag on it identifying the
feature, to facilitate comparison of similar features in other projects.

I see the implementation something like this:
1. the ProjectList page uses the WikiTags plugin to display all pages tagged
as a project
2. each project page uses the Namespaces plugin to list pages related to it
2a. similar-feature pages can have similar names in the namespace, i.e.
Project1.login, Project2.login, etc..
3. key details of each page could be tagged, i.e. DatabaseAccess,
Encryption, etc. for cross references

Once the ProjectList page is created, new projects are added by creating new
pages (see #1), rather than everyone editing and re-editing the ProjectList
page. Same for pages related to the project; you name it appropriately (for
the Namespaces plugin) and it "magically appears" in the right places.

Do you see where I am coming from?

The next step would be to provide templates for certain types of pages so
they have similar structure.

--
Bobman