From Janne Jalkanen <Janne.Jalka...@ecyrd.com>
Subject Re: url rewriting supported?
Date Sun, 22 Jun 2008 14:32:19 GMT

On Jun 19, 2008, at 22:39 , Andrew Jaquith wrote:

> Simon --
>
> I've been gently tweaking Janne from time to time about
> externalizing the URL constructors in a similar manner to what you
> describe, although the use I had in mind wasn't related to session
> IDs.

I'm still opposed to the idea because of the context loss involved.
URL rewriting *after* the HTML translation is done means that e.g.
preformatted areas would also get all of their URLs rewritten.

Though I have to admit that the current URLConstructors are kind of
messy, so rewriting them to be clearer might be a better solution.

(Yes, it's also possible to write something like <a href="XXX-MAGIC/
Wiki.jsp"> and then rewrite those magic markers, BUT this means that
the output from the MarkupTranslator would no longer be functional,
which will make the life of the embedders more complicated.  I would
much rather go through a bit of extra complexity in our code to make
sure the developers don't have to worry about some hidden magic
effects which are caused by complex interaction of thingamalingies
which you "just have to know".  We've got enough of those already ;-)

/Janne