From Olaf Kock <ok...@abstrakt.de>
Subject Re: Failed to create a Wiki engine
Date Sun, 11 May 2008 11:47:43 GMT
sakari.aaltonen@tkk.fi schrieb:

> Ermm... It's not harmless to me...
>
> Or rather, it wasn't. Until I hit upon the idea of restarting Tomcat as
> root, or:
>    sakari@gongli:~> $CATALINA_HOME/bin/shutdown.sh
>    sakari@gongli:~> sudo $CATALINA_HOME/bin/startup.sh
>
> When I now access http://localhost:8080/JSPWiki/Install.jsp, I do get a
> promising-looking "JSPWiki Installer" page.

When tomcat is started or installed as root, some files and directories
tend to be owned by root, thus be writeable only for root. This is
especially bad for work, temp and webapps, also I believe that
conf/Catalina/localhost (or whatever is equivalent in your installation)
needs to be writeable by the user that runs tomcat.

In short: Never ever start Tomcat as root. If it happened once, "sudo
chown -R" either all or the most relevant files and directories to the
correct user. There are some positive implications about not having
everything (e.g. various jars) writeable by the user running as, but
having the others /not/ writeable certainly prevents running tomcat at all.

Cheers,
Olaf