From sakari.aalto...@tkk.fi
Subject Re: Failed to create a Wiki engine
Date Sun, 11 May 2008 14:13:44 GMT
Lainaus Olaf Kock <okock@abstrakt.de>:

> When tomcat is started or installed as root, some files and directories
> tend to be owned by root, thus be writeable only for root. This is
> especially bad for work, temp and webapps, also I believe that
> conf/Catalina/localhost (or whatever is equivalent in your installation)
> needs to be writeable by the user that runs tomcat.
>
> In short: Never ever start Tomcat as root. If it happened once, "sudo
> chown -R" either all or the most relevant files and directories to the
> correct user. There are some positive implications about not having
> everything (e.g. various jars) writeable by the user running as, but
> having the others /not/ writeable certainly prevents running tomcat at all.

I re-checked, and it seems that the 'sudo' was not necessary. What
*was* necessary was that Tomcat be restarted before accessing
JSPWiki/Install.jsp.

In other words, the correct way to start the installation - for me, at
least - seems to be:
1)  move JSPWiki.war into $CATALINA_HOME/webapps
2)  restart Tomcat:
       sakari@gongli:~> $CATALINA_HOME/bin/shutdown.sh
       sakari@gongli:~> $CATALINA_HOME/bin/startup.sh
3)  go to http://localhost:8080/JSPWiki/Install.jsp