From "Christophe Dupriez" <christophe.dupr...@poisoncentre.be>
Subject RE: Trying to create a wiki page :-)
Date Tue, 19 Feb 2008 10:31:06 GMT
Dear Florian,

You may have seen a long message I wrote one week ago while trying to use page names with
punctuation. I hope the community may support an open discussion on this issue.

"/" is currently used to separate page name from attachment name.

I am suggesting that "/<space>" be allowed within page names (which would satisfy my
customer and your) BUT this will probably seen as a "kludge".

A central place to define and explain the constraints about punctuation would be nice but
a discussion is needed first to clarify.

The position "punctuation is a nest of security holes" is not sustainable in front of users
needs: chemical names are filled with punctuation but they are names so they must be allowed
as a Wiki page name.

Have a nice day!

Christophe

-----Original Message-----
From: Florian Holeczek [mailto:florian@holeczek.de]
Sent: mardi 19 février 2008 10:57
To: jspwiki-user@incubator.apache.org;jspwiki-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Trying to create a wiki page :-)

Hi all,

while trying to create a wiki page containing the slash character,
I've been running into some weird issues. I've been testing this on
2.6.2-svn-1 running on Tomcat/6.0.14.

It's not making much sense to me, so I'll post this here awaiting some
comments like "sure, that's all fine" or "ugh, that's a bug".

* first try:
  [issue one / two]
  Creates a link to an attachment "issue one / two" of the current
  page (http://localhost:8080/jspwiki/attach/issue%20one%20/%20two).
  Result is a "HTTP Status 404 - Attachment 'Issue one two', version
  -1 does not exist." from Tomcat.
  Weird:
  * Why is this an attachment and not a regular page link?
  * The link appears in blue underlined letters, although it doesn't
    exist.
  * slash in the link (!?), no slash in the error message.

* second try "maybe escape the slash":
  [issue one \/ two]
  Nearly the same again,
  "http://localhost:8080/jspwiki/attach/issue%20one%20%5C/%20two".
  But this time, the result is a blank page (really blank, no HTML).

* third try "maybe with double slash":
  [issue one // two]
  Same as first try, but of course the double slash is the difference
  in the link.

What remains is the question of how to correctly link to such a wiki
page and whether which characters are allowed and how to be used is
documented somewhere (haven't found anything on this topic).

Regards,
 Florian
?