From Terry Steichen <te...@net-frame.com>
Subject Change Management Suggestion (was: EmoticonsFilter in 2.6.0)
Date Thu, 03 Jan 2008 17:08:19 GMT
Janne,

I don't think the problem is that you weren't "loud" enough.

Because I'm testing a fully operational JSPWiki-based system, I have
been running the 'stable version' (2.4.xx) as suggested.  The neat new
stuff in the 2.5.xx releases just took too much time to figure out, and
caused too much instability as the bugs and feature parameters were
being worked through.

In the future, when preparing a new release such as 2.6.0, we should
probably emphasize the need to test the pending new release against the
most recent *stable* version (ie, 2.4.x in this case), as well as versus
the *cutting edge* version (2.5.xx).

In this regard, do you have any idea of how many (if any) 2.6.0 testers
so far have used code customized to 2.4.xx (templates, filters, plugins,
etc.) versus 2.5.xx stuff?

 From a personal standpoint, this transition (to 2.6.0) is making me
increasingly nervous, because I don't know how to anticipate which of
the (many) 2.5.xx changes might be incompatible with 2.4.xx.  In
hindsight, I probably should have jumped in with testing of my own, but
I had thought the changes affecting APIs and such were being normalized
both ways between 2.4.x and 2.5.x.  Maybe that wasn't realistic, but
that was my (obviously naive) belief.  Or, maybe the stable version was
moved up to a more recent 2.4 release, and I missed it?

Terry