From "Christophe Dupriez" <christophe.dupr...@poisoncentre.be>
Subject Re: Localization
Date Wed, 23 Jan 2008 10:37:04 GMT
Beware that PageName is language dependent...

Personnaly, I would view language as a "NameSpace" (very useful feature of JSPWiki).

What is interesting is that navigation betweend linguistic versions shows interesting features
that would be useful for general page interlinking.

When one page is said to be a "translation" of another, then the reversal could be judged
to be automatically true (not in all applications but in "Wikipedia like" applications).
It is like a "see also" relation: when A-->see also-->B, most applications automatically
generate B-->see also-->A (commutativity)

Futhermore, one could see transitivity as a need: if A is a translation of B and B is a translation
of C, then A is a translation of C.

One could imagine to extend existing functionnalities like "ReferringPages" to add "ReferredToPages"
but this has to be constrained to one link TYPE (like "translation" or "see also": TYPE does
not exist in a regular Wiki ! Help Makna ?). I am wondering if the very useful "InterWiki"
links could not be used to specify a link TYPE.

We could then have:

Page "En.Bees" containing " ... [translated:Fr.Abeilles] ... [seealso:En.Wasps] ... "
Page "Fr.Abeilles" containing " ... [translated:Pl.Pszczoła] ... "

Then most plugins working on relations could take into account a link TYPE. An a special plugin
could list transitive relations of a given type and/or automatically consider a relation as
being reflexive.

Page "En.Bees" could then list the translations "Fr.Abeilles" and "Pl.Pszczoła" and the "see
also" En.Wasps
Page "En.Wasps" could then list the "see also" En.Bees
Page "Fr.Abeilles"  could then list the translations "En.Bees" and "Pl.Pszczoła"
Page "Pl.Pszczoła"  could then list the translations "En.Bees" and "Fr.Abeilles"

I have a very big dictionnary of litterary devices (about 8 thousands of them: http://www.cafe.edu/cle/index.html)
that I converted to OWL but that I want to put in JSPWiki. As JSPWiki is, I think it will
fit (I was first envisaging Makna) but with Relation TYPES it could be better...
I document the export/import process (as it goes) for this: http://www.jspwiki.org/wiki/ImportExportMigration

Have a nice day!

Christophe Dupriez