From Janne Jalkanen <janne.jalka...@iki.fi>
Subject Re: Change Management Suggestion (was: EmoticonsFilter in 2.6.0)
Date Thu, 03 Jan 2008 17:32:47 GMT
> In this regard, do you have any idea of how many (if any) 2.6.0 testers
> so far have used code customized to 2.4.xx (templates, filters, plugins,
> etc.) versus 2.5.xx stuff?

We have testers?  That's news to me...

The thing is - we can't force anyone to test anything.  So it really
all comes down to volunteers.  We can make policies and plans, but
unless we have people executing them, they don't matter.

I have a set of plugins I do test against (and they are working nicely
in 2.6 and 2.4).  I can't say anything about anyone else.

The thing is, most people don't care until they realize that there's a
new stable out there.  Then they try it, and then they see things
broken.  This could take months, if they have no problems with the
existing stable.  And we have no way of knowing what they are doing
with the software, so we can't even check for it.

> hindsight, I probably should have jumped in with testing of my own, but
> I had thought the changes affecting APIs and such were being normalized
> both ways between 2.4.x and 2.5.x.  Maybe that wasn't realistic, but

No.  2.4.x should contain only modifications which retain
compatibility.  So any 2.4.x should be compatible with any other
2.4.x.

Jumping from 2.4 to 2.6 means that new stuff gets added, and
compatibility MAY be broken in minor ways (the PageFilter one is a
minor incompatibility, as filters can be fixed in about two minutes as
there is no behaviour change.  It's really just one modified
initialize() and one added destroy()).

Jumping from 2.x to 3.0 means that compatibility WILL be broken,
unless by miraculous chance it works.

http://www.jspwiki.org/wiki/VersioningProposal

The page is new, but the principles have been there from the
beginning.  Unfortunately, we don't have a systematic way of checking
against compatibility.  This is something I would really like someone
to pick up.

/Janne