From vlf <vasco.figue...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Permission problems with OC4J standalone
Date Wed, 21 Nov 2007 18:39:51 GMT

Janne Jalkanen wrote:

> I am afraid that the license is still too complicated.  It also has
> some GPL provisions (essentially forbidding the use of OC4J with any
> GPL applications, within certain parameters, subject to
> interpretation of the GPL), which is making me extremely worried.
> While, on cursory examination by a non-lawyer it appears that there
> is no real issue, the interpretation of licenses is a difficult art,
> and I don't particularly want to risk it.

If you're referring to the following excerpt, I don't see any reason for not
using OC4J for the purposes of testing the deployment issues that JSPWiki
has with OC4J. GPL only applies to released material. You're not releasing
any software, let alone combined software resulting from both gpl code and
oracle's. There's no possible way you're creating obligations for Oracle or
(purportedly) grant any rights to it's IP. But then again, I'm not a lawyer.

Open Source
> "Open Source" software - software available without charge for use,
> modification and distribution - is often licensed under terms that require
> the user to make the user's modifications to the Open Source software or
> any software that the user 'combines' with the Open Source software freely
> available in source code form. If you use Open Source software in
> conjunction with the programs, you must ensure that your use does not: (i)
> create, or purport to create, obligations of us with respect to the Oracle
> programs; or (ii) grant, or purport to grant, to any third party any
> rights to or immunities under our intellectual property or proprietary
> rights in the Oracle programs. For example, you may not develop a software
> program using an Oracle program and an Open Source program where such use
> results in a program file(s) that contains code from both the Oracle
> program and the Open Source program (including without limitation
> libraries) if the Open Source program is licensed under a license that
> requires any "modifications" be made freely available. You also may not
> combine the Oracle program with programs licensed under the GNU General
> Public License ("GPL") in any manner that could cause, or could be
> interpreted or asserted to cause, the Oracle program or any modifications
> thereto to become subject to the terms of the GPL.

Even though I understand the pleasure of staying out of proprietary fuss, I
really don't see a problem here. Anyway, the call is your's. It's your time
and effort, offcourse.