From Ichiro Furusato <ichiro.furus...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: JDK 7 for JSPWiki?
Date Sun, 14 Jul 2013 13:08:04 GMT
Hi Florian,

I'm not sure I understand your point is about the end of public updates.
The EOL column is Oracle's published End-of-Life date for each release,
which also corresponds with the end of public updates (that's for Java what
EOL entails). Generally that's five years after release (GA, or general
availability) and as you likely know Sun extended the date for Java 6 to
this February. And yes, it's possible to pay for support from Oracle after
the EOL date, indefinitely if desired. For example, one can purchase Oracle
Premium or Extended Support but it is important to note that none of the
paid support agreements provides any additional updates to Java following
five years after the GA date [1]. So while you may get support for various
Oracle products, no matter how much you pay you don't get additional
support for Java.

So none of this alters the points I made about security and supportability.
As there will be no bug or security fixes after the EOL date anyone using
Java 6 at this point is now (for those purposes) without real support
(i.e., updates). If there's a security vulnerability the only option is to
update to Java 7. People can remain with Java 6 and 2.9.x indefinitely if
they're not concerned about security. It's not difficult to update to Java
7, which is compatible with both Tomcat 6 and 7.

While I can appreciate taking a conservative approach to software updates,
I guess if the team feels we can't move off of an EOL'd version of Java
even after the very significant changes of moving from jspwiki.org to ASF
this then remains a question for the team:  when does everyone think we can
move to Java 7, released in 2011? How many more years?

And yes, I do find this a bit off-putting, as someone just now digging deep
into the rather craggy old code. This is after all *wiki* software, not
some heavily-integrated middleware. There's a lot of work to be done to
refactor and update the code and I can't see investing significant time and
energy making significant alterations if we are to remain with Java 6,
i.e., I'd probably just wait until the team decides to move to Java 7
before diving in further.

Ichiro

[1] http://www.oracle.com/us/support/lifetime-support/index.html