From Glen Mazza <glen.ma...@gmail.com>
Subject Switching to different bracing style?
Date Fri, 19 Jul 2013 21:35:41 GMT
Hi Team, the next Sonar complaint, and there's a significant 500 of them
within JSPWiki, is that we're not using braces for single-line
if/while/for loops.  I know for CXF braces are always required, and I
suspect the majority of Apache projects today also disallow them, so the
requirement is not unreasonable.  Fixing them is not the problem, what
*is* the problem is our older-fashioned bracing system, i.e., instead of
switching from this

Style A:

if (a > b)
    c = 10;
else if (d > e)
    f = 20;

to this (the bracing system JSPWiki presently uses):

Style B:

if (a > b)
{
    c = 10;
}
else if (d > e)
{
    f = 20;
}

I'd like to be doing this instead:

Style C:

if (a > b) {
    c = 10;
} else if (d > e) {
    f = 20;
}

I've checked five major open source projects -- Style C is all they use:

CXF -
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/cxf/trunk/rt/transports/http/src/main/java/org/apache/cxf/transport/https/CertConstraintsFeature.java?revision=828758&view=markup

Camel -
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/camel/trunk/components/camel-atom/src/main/java/org/apache/camel/component/atom/AtomUtils.java?revision=1190212&view=markup

Tomcat -
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/tomcat/trunk/java/org/apache/catalina/filters/FilterBase.java?revision=1189413&view=markup

Hadoop -
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/hadoop/common/trunk/hadoop-mapreduce-project/hadoop-mapreduce-client/hadoop-mapreduce-client-common/src/main/java/org/apache/hadoop/mapred/LocalDistributedCacheManager.java?revision=1466196&view=markup

Spring Framework:
https://github.com/SpringSource/spring-framework/blob/master/spring-jdbc/src/main/java/org/springframework/jdbc/object/SqlFunction.java

Style B might be OK for projects that still allow Style A, but it makes
the code too bloated once Style A is disallowed.  I don't think we'll be
able to attract many committers sticking with Style B anymore.
Basically, to avoid the busywork of converting Style B to Style C, we'll
allow either in our source code but with the expectation that more and
more code will be adopting Style C as time moves on, how does that
sound?  (Or, do we want to continue with allowing Style A and Style
B?--we're welcome to ignore Sonar on this.)

Regards,
Glen