From J├╝rgen Weber <juer...@jwi.de>
Subject The need for war
Date Fri, 03 May 2013 08:20:57 GMT
I'm not sure if we should really build a war. What's the point of
having a war if you have to unpack it anyway? And a zip can contain
everything in a toplevel folder, a war not. But if you build a war, it
should be ready to run.

So I'd suggest to deliver two packages:

1) a ready-to run war, including all corepages (deliver language
corresponding to browser settings),
tempdir=javax.servlet.context.tempdir and log into container log. A
first time user / evaluator should be successful on the first try
after dropping the war into tomcat/webapps or
jboss/standalone/deployments

b) a zip like the current war, which the user unzips into webapps and
configures.   I'd also suggest to use
org.apache.catalina.loader.VirtualWebappLoader (or
org.apache.geronimo.system.sharedlib.SharedLib) to have
jspwiki.properties outside of the war. Unfortunately for
webapp-security you still have to edit web.xml

The property for tempdir could be removed, a servlet container
provides a javax.servlet.context.tempdir context attribute that points
to a temp dir.

Also jspwiki.properties should give a hint or best practice where to
put the content directory (I have /projects/jspwiki/JSPWiki and
/projects/jspwiki/content outside of the appserver tree).

What do you think?
Juergen