From Glen Mazza <glen.ma...@gmail.com>
Subject database script simplifications?
Date Fri, 17 May 2013 01:26:41 GMT
Hi Team,

Unsure, but I'm inclined to simplify our database creation scripts,
presently we use a bunch of symbolic terms instead of the actual table
and column names:
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/jspwiki/trunk/etc/db/hsql/userdb-setup.ddl?revision=1426919&view=markup

The real table and column names are replaced/filtered from the
jspwiki.properties file here:
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/jspwiki/trunk/src/test/resources/jspwiki.properties?revision=1479697&view=markup#l99

The idea is that we can change a table or column name in one place
(jspwiki.properties) and it will cascade to the hsql and postgresql
scripts.  However, we only have a few tables and we almost never
(probably never) change table and column names anyway.  I think it might
be good to remove the filtering and just hardcode the table and column
names in the create scripts.  That will simplify the Maven pom and
jspwiki.properties files a bit as well as make the system easier to
understand. WDYT?

Also, do we need the PostgreSQL scripts today?
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/jspwiki/trunk/etc/db/ First of
all I'm unsure if these database scripts (hsql and postgresql) are for
production also or only test, if the latter, we only test with hsql
anyway so maybe we can delete PostgreSQL.  If this is also for
production, I would guess 90% are happy with hsql and those not happy
with hsql aren't going to be any happier with PostgreSQL (i.e., people
leaving hsql would rather switch to MySQL, Derby, Oracle, etc...)  Then
again, maybe we provide two database options to make sure we're not
coding in a specific database-dependent manner.

Regards,
Glen