From Glen Mazza <glen.ma...@gmail.com>
Subject Remove the Tomcat JSP precompile tasks?
Date Sat, 13 Apr 2013 13:47:55 GMT
Anyone mind if we get rid of the Tomcat JSP precompile option in the
build.xml?  It's of limited usefulness today (we're presently compiling
with old Tomcat 5.x stuff), the presence of Tomcat 5.x stuff makes the
project look old, and the tasks involved just add a lot of bloat to the
build.xml file.  According to the build.xml:

   <!-- This target builds a WAR file that is specially pre-compiled
        for use with Tomcat. By generating and pre-compiling JSPs
        ahead of time (instead of having Tomcat do it on-the-fly
        at runtime), we provide a slight runtime speed bump. In
        addition, in security-conscious environments this means
        that we can eliminate the need for the Jasper JSP compiler,
        and can run Tomcat using just a JRE instead of a full JDK.

The "slight runtime speed bump" is only for startup after initial
deployment but even then JSPWiki is quite zippy, performance is not an
issue.  As for security, I really doubt "security conscious
environments" are going to rely on end-of-life Tomcat 5.0-precompiled
JSPs but will instead precompile it *themselves* with the precise JDK
and servlet container versions they are using in production (not
everyone is using Tomcat, and even those who are are mostly on Tomcat 7
today).  How to precompile JSPs is a servlet container (& potentially
servlet container version) specific process for *any* WAR (not just
JSPWiki) and users need to consult their app server-specific
documentation for the precise and secure way of doing that, for those
who actually care about doing so.  Even on the Maven side, the
corresponding plugin stops at Tomcat 6:  http://mojo.codehaus.org/jspc/,
i.e., people just aren't doing this that much today.

Regards,
Glen

On 04/03/2013 03:43 PM, Juan Pablo Santos Rodríguez wrote:
> Hi Glen,
>
> the precompile JSPs option is available through the *-tomcat targets (line
> 1124 onwards) on build.xml, and are meant to enable running the webapp with
> only a JRE, instead of a JDK. They're not part of the main build, so it
> doesn't seem related to me.
>
> The org.gjt.xpp seems odd to me though, where does it comes from (maybe the
> xerces jars)? Can you try specifying the jaxen dependency as:
>
>          <dependency>
>              <groupId>jaxen</groupId>
>              <artifactId>jaxen</artifactId>
>              <version>1.1-beta-6</version>
>              <exclusions>
>                <exclusion>
>                  <groupId>*</groupId>
>                  <artifactId>*</artifactId>
>                </exclusion>
>              </exclusions>
>          </dependency>
>
> to see if it helps? Right now I'm not on my pc so I'm unable to try it
>
> HTH,
> juan pablo
>
> On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 12:00 AM, Glen Mazza <glen.mazza@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi folks, "mvn clean install" and "ant war" will now create nearly
>> identical WARs (differing only in the WEB-INF/lib folder) -- but ATM only
>> the latter still works. I think it's something related to the precompiled
>> JSPs (which the Maven WAR doesn't rely on presently, but I'm not sure where
>> they are in the Ant WAR, so???)  When running the Mavenized version,  the
>> JSPWiki log files are reporting:
>>
>> 2013-04-02 17:29:51,149 [http-bio-8080-exec-6] WARN org.apache.wiki.tags.*
>> *WikiTagBase JSPWiki:/JSPWiki/ JSPWiki:http://localhost:8080/**JSPWiki/<http://localhost:8080/JSPWiki/>-
Including failed, got a servlet exception from sub-page. Rethrowing the