From Glen Mazza <glen.ma...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Contributing Plugins
Date Thu, 14 Mar 2013 12:32:23 GMT
Well, some risks if you did--half-done plugins starting to accumulate
under apache-extras, people uploading insert-porn-picture or similar
nasty plugins, copyrighted work being uploaded, unhealthy code
dependencies being created between plugins, vandalism/bad coding
wrecking many plugins compared to just a few if they were hosted in
multiple locations.  Strictly speaking though, nothing vetoable, if real
disasters occur however we may need to make it read-only and direct
people to their own repositories.

With GitHub in particular, a developer doesn't need to create his own
project for each plugin, he just creates a single account, and then adds
as many projects (or single project with multiple folders) as wanted
under it, as well as optionally grant write access to just those two or
three people instead of everybody in apache-extras.  The GitHub account
sits forever and whenever a developer has something else to contribute
to any community (not just JSPWiki) he can create another project/folder
under it. These are useful skills for a developer to have and they are
both largely simple and well-documented for GitHub and Google Code.
Google Code is probably overkill for a single plugin but wouldn't be if
you had several closely related ones, but GitHub works just as
efficiently for single as well as many plugins, because the
infrastructure is kept at the single account level instead of with each
and every plugin (project/folder).  For Ichiro's many plugins case, that
would probably still be one project and it would look something like
this: https://github.com/gmazza/blog-samples, one folder per plugin.

Glen

On 03/14/2013 06:10 AM, Juan Pablo Santos Rodríguez wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I also thought about the overhead of creating a project for a plugin (with
> maybe just one or two classes)
>
> what about having a project at apache-extras for these kind of situation?
> Just we don't enforce anyone to
> commit his/her contributions there, we're going to have a "contributions"
> page on the website anyway
> so we can link there whatever we want
>

> br,
> juan pablo
>
> On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 10:49 AM, Ichiro Furusato <ichiro.furusato@gmail.com
>> wrote:
>> As someone with dozens of plugins and very little time, it's very
>> unlikely I'll be able to spend the administrative time to create and
>> manage my own Google Code project. For those with only one
>> or two plugins the overhead would be even higher.
>>
>> Without sounding too pessimistic, this approach (I believe) will
>> tend to minimise input, rather than maximise it. There aren't that
>> many people willing to manage entire projects composed of just
>> one or two plugins. I'm not sure what the ideal solution is, but this
>> (frankly) doesn't sound like it. Perhaps more dialogue about how
>> to balance the input of contributors vs. the need for stable releases
>> is in order...
>>
>> Ichiro
>>
>> On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 2:37 AM, Jürgen Weber <weberjn@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I also support Glen's suggestion with code.google.com, even I see it a
>>> bit of overkill when you have a project for a 200 liner plugin.
>>>
>>> Hope the new JSPwiki powered Apache wiki site will be up soon.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Juergen