From Glen Mazza <glen.ma...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Contributing Plugins
Date Wed, 13 Mar 2013 03:36:13 GMT
On 03/12/2013 07:36 PM, Juan Pablo Santos Rodríguez wrote:
> Hi Jürgen (et all),
>
> apologies on not creating the JIRA component yet, had a real busy week..
>
> I've just asked on general@i.a.o about his and they've kindly pointed me to
> http://code.google.com/a/apache-extras.org/hosting/ which seems to fit a
> lot better than an undetermined number of JIRAs (we get svn, issue tracker,
> downloads section, etc.).
>
> So, I see two possibilities:
> 1.- we can create one jspwiki-[contrib|extras|whatever] project there, and
> grant commit access to whoever asks. We add a link on the website. This way
> contributions will be easier to track, look at, and promote

Hi Juan, actually, whomever has a plugin can create their own Google
Code or GitHub site for it, and we can just add a link to it on our
Apache webpage (AFAICT, we just need to create a "plugins" page which
links to the various external plugin sites.)  At a later date, once we
get the website issues nailed down, we can look at incorporating
some/all of them in the Apache JSPWiki base code, once the donator
supplies us a JIRA patch with Apache-licensed documentation.

I don't believe we want to be managing any more websites (with their
associated SVN/issue tracker/downloads, etc.) than we absolutely have
to.  If we're in the business of granting write access it follows we end
up being sort of responsible for whatever somebody places there
(copywrited code, for example), as well as the general risks of person A
messing up person B's code.

> 2.- whoever wants to develop his/her extension(s) opens a project in there,
> labelling it at least with "jspwiki". We add a link to the tag on the
> website. This option is easier to set up, as anyone anytime can open a new
> project, not depending on anyone to start his/her project, but linking to a
> tag will decrease its visibility (i.e.: it's difficult to see at a glance
> what are the different projects at
> http://code.google.com/a/apache-extras.org/hosting/search?q=label%3aMaven)

I like this idea much more, let the donator create his own Google
Code/GitHub site (they don't even need to put jspwiki in the name), and
just inform us about it for us to add it to the  the Apache JSPWiki
website's new plugins page.  (We can provide a link to the plugin and a
1-or-2 sentence description of it.)  I don't see how its visibility can
be decreased that way, because the page to look at to find *all* plugins
will be the Apache JSPWiki plugins page. Those plugins might link to 20
different URLs, it won't matter, they will still all be listed together
on that page.  Besides, some like GitHub, some like Google Code, some
like ???....

Even if you went with (1), you'll still potentially going to have
several hosting their plugins on different sites because they don't want
the others to be altering their source code while they're developing
it.  So the plugins page on Apache.org will still be having the full
list of all external plugins we're aware of, because only that page will
be pointing to all the places where the plugins are hosted.

Regards,
Glen