From Glen Mazza <glen.ma...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: target for 2.9.1 release?
Date Thu, 31 Jan 2013 23:39:08 GMT
I wish Janne, you would have gone through jspwiki.org and deleted the
20-60% of the site that is obsolete today.  Let's shrink the problem and
see where we are after that.  At any rate, http://www.jspwiki.org/, as
you describe it, is an orphan work and probably not usable for us.
Maybe we should just shut it down.  If we create our own Wiki (with
everything henceforth Apache licensed), within a few to several months
it will probably repopulate with the most useful material that was on
the old site anyway.  I would suspect pure facts from www.jspwiki.org
*can* be transferred to the new site as facts aren't copyrightable.

Can the Commons-licensed http://doc.jspwiki.org/2.4/ be donated to
Apache or does it have the same copyright problem as
http://www.jspwiki.org/ ?  It would be nice if we could move
http://doc.jspwiki.org/2.4/ to the Apache site.

Quote: "Well, because of trademark issues it would be odd that Apache
would use the word JSPWiki and I'd have still control of the domain."
Not necessarily, Apache doesn't own www.chemistry.com, www.tomcat.com,
www.pig.com, www.chemistry.org, www.camel.com, and probably many
others.  I think the main thing though is that the site can't act like
it's the Apache product. With the two sites above shut down or moved to
Apache, you might just be able to release the domain instead of giving
it to Apache.

Glen

On 01/31/2013 04:12 PM, Janne Jalkanen wrote:
> Well, because of trademark issues it would be odd that Apache would use the word JSPWiki
and I'd have still control of the domain.  I can't recall whether I already did the paperwork
passing the name to ASF, or whether it was needed in the first place, but I think the consensus
was that it's better that ASF takes control of jspwiki.org - even if it's nothing but a redirect
to jspwiki.apache.org/wiki or wiki.jspwiki.apache.org or something.

> As to the content, that I can't donate to ASF (because of mixed copyrights), so if someone
else wants to take a copy and run it on their server under some other domain name (or ASF
graciously allows the use of old.jspwiki.org ;-). I cannot run it here anymore for legal reasons.

> /Janne
>
> On Jan 31, 2013, at 00:31 , Glen Mazza <glen.mazza@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I think we should get JSPWIKI-739 done before considering "hatching" out of incubation.
 Right now, all of our documentation is off the Apache site and our informal Wiki ("Legacy
Site") is under lock-and-key due to Finnish legal reasons.

>> We do not need to shut down the jspwiki.org site--as that's a third-party site we
have no control over it (the fact that it's owned by a JSPWiki committer doesn't matter, it's
a third-party site and from an Apache JSPWiki perspective it is outside of our control.)
But we should have our system documentation and probably a Wiki to be *on* the Apache site,
even if it's duplicated by third party sites like jspwiki.org.  I would like to get the Infra
folks to host a JSPWiki site (we are *sooo* much faster than Confluence Wikis, and we could
probably get other Apache projects to adopt us) but if they won't do that, and our only options
are (1) hosting our documentation off Apache using JSPWiki or (2) hosting our documentation
on Apache w/Confluence Wiki, perhaps (2), however unpleasant, should be evaluated.