From Glen Mazza <glen.ma...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: retiring the changelog file
Date Sat, 26 Jan 2013 20:51:46 GMT
Hmm, I see:
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/commons/proper/email/trunk/src/changes/changes.xml?view=log
and
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/commons/proper/email/trunk/pom.xml?revision=1434776&view=markup#l327

I like changes.xml more because it has a structure to it--moving to this
might be better after we Mavenize (however, might not help us so much
because the technology we use to generate our website wouldn't directly
create a website page for us like it does for Commons Email.)  Still,
most Apache projects AFAICT don't bother anymore with change files, but
as long as it's useful for at least some team members I'm OK with it.

Questions, Siegfried: how is the above changes.xml created, it is
completely manual or partly autogenerated from JIRA (I'm assuming the
former)?  Also, is one required to open up a JIRA  every time someone
makes a change to the source code, or that's not a strict requirement?

I know CXF relies on JIRA alone for the release notes:  The website
release notes link ( http://cxf.apache.org/cxf-272-release-notes.html)
has people go directly to JIRA for a list:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12310511&styleName=Html&Create=Create&version=12323604

As for naming team members, Apache Syncope and Commons Email apparently
both keep that info in their pom.xml (like they do the mailing address
info):
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/syncope/trunk/pom.xml?revision=1438506&view=markup#l114
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/commons/proper/email/trunk/pom.xml?revision=1434776&view=markup

...which automatically populates their Team page (and mailing list page)
when they generate their website:
http://syncope.apache.org/team-list.html  (out-of-sync right now as they
are waiting for a new release before republishing their website).
http://commons.apache.org/email/team-list.html

However, this of course wouldn't be applicable for us yet because we're
not yet on Maven (I'm trying, I'm trying... :) and we again use a
different technology from Commons Email or Syncope in generating our
website.

Thanks for the info,
Glen

>>> http://mail-archives.apache.**org/mod_mbox/incubator-**