From Janne Jalkanen <janne.jalka...@ecyrd.com>
Subject Re: From Plugin to something completely different... that users need!
Date Tue, 13 Nov 2012 14:52:28 GMT

The JCR model is overly complicated and doesn't really provide value - for example, JCR provides
versioning, but I had to write my own versioning anyway because I couldn't implement existing
JSPWiki functionality with it (I don't remember specifics, it was many years ago).  JCR versioning
is meant for something else, obviously.

Even stuff like pre-importing sample pages is hard, 'cos the on-disk format isn't standardized.
You need to write your own importer.

/Janne

On 13 Nov 2012, at 08:42, Florian Holeczek wrote:

> Hi Janne,
>
>> I wouldn't recommend using JCR anymore for JSPWiki. It is, as you point out, overly
complicated and many of its features (like versioning) are ill suited for JSPWiki purposes.
Also I'm no longer developing Priha, so someone would need to pick that up too.

>> An redesigned version of the current enhanced with metadata and subpage/subwiki support
should be sufficient, something like switching a WikiName class to everywhere that Strings
are being used to denote a page, then having it support a simple [subwiki:page1/page2] syntax...

> overly complicated is true unfortunately. However, that's mostly the server part's problem,
isn't it? Did you face any bigger problems on the client side?
> If there was a fast and lean server already existing, ready to be packaged with JSPWiki,
it would be quite comfortable to use JCR. That's why I'm really curious about Jackrabbit OAK.
> On the other hand, looking at the amount of resources available, it may be the better
decision to enhance the 2.x API regarding your points above.