From Florian Holeczek <flor...@holeczek.de>
Subject Re: 3rd RC?
Date Fri, 10 Aug 2012 06:49:03 GMT
Hi Juan Pablo,

haven't been looking at incubating-10 yet, but replying on 2):

According to your answer in the related JIRA issue, we should return to the previous libs
place for the ones which can't be downloaded from maven central. There doesn't seem to be
any requirement saying that the libs aren't allowed in the repository; they're just not allowed
in the src artifact, which can be achieved by excluding them from packaging.
In build.xml, one can then for the libraries refer to the svn.tag, like it's done for the
src checkout, too. The current solution means that there is no versioning in the libs directory,
so it would have to stay there forever (i.e. as long as related releases should be buildable)
and would probably grow over time.
WDYT?

Regarding upgrading: Fully agree! Not now, but definitely later. There are even some libraries
which aren't maintained anymore.

Regards
 Florian

----- Ursprüngliche Mail -----
Von: "Juan Pablo Santos Rodríguez" <juanpablo.santos@gmail.com>
An: jspwiki-dev@incubator.apache.org
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 9. August 2012 22:38:40
Betreff: Re: 3rd RC?

Hi,

2.9.0-incubating-10 should run cleanly everytime, fixes the clean and
hsqldb issues. Also, the libraries are downloaded from Central whenever is
possible. Which leads me to a couple of questions:

1) what RC3 should be: as we haven't voted on it yet, I'd like that
2.9.0-incubating-10 would become to RC3/2.9.0-final. I know is a PITA,
specially for Janne who is building and pushing the signed artifacts all
along, so it would be ok for me if we vote on current RC3 tag / generated
artifacts.

2) what to do with the jars placed at libs folder in svn: if we vote on
current RC3 tag / artifacts, they should all remain there. If we vote on a
tag based on 2.9.0-incubating-10, we could delete a big bunch of files. In
any case, the jars remaining there after the release, should be there like,
forever. As there are a few jars that aren't present on Central (i.e. jrcs,
sandler and a few others), some jars are going to be in svn anyways.

Also, there are some jars that could be downloaded from Central if we
upgrade them to newer versions, but I think it's safer to do this later on,
just to freeze the release..

thoughts?

rgrds,
juan pablo

On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 12:54 AM, Juan Pablo Santos Rodríguez <
juanpablo.santos@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> just added some comments there. Regarding the clean target + hsqldb
> shutdown, I'll take a look at it this week [1], plus downloading the jars
> from Central (whenever is possible), to avoid having a big libs folder in
> our svn. No need to have this in the 3rd rc, but I'd like to have this
> before graduating
>

> br,
> juan pablo
>
> [1]: the clean target should be a no-brainer, for hsqldb I was thinking of
> pulling from build.xml into the appropiate setUp/tearDown methods, in order
> to ensure it gets properly closed.
>

> On Sun, Aug 5, 2012 at 11:09 PM, Florian Holeczek <florian@holeczek.de>wrote:
>
>> Thanks Janne,
>>
>> true, I had already written down some notes on that before. There's
>> pretty much to clean and simplify in our build process. But it's obviously
>> been good enough until now, so that can wait till after graduation, I'd
>> think.
>>
>> However, I'm wondering whether the library handling introduced in
>> JSPWIKI-738 could lead to problems later on. I've added some notes in JIRA.
>>
>> Regards
>>  Florian

So I was
I was