From Janne Jalkanen <janne.jalka...@ecyrd.com>
Subject Re: New host for jspwiki.org?
Date Thu, 12 Jul 2012 07:05:49 GMT

An appeals court decided that administrators are responsible for all the content on their
site when it comes to copyrighted content. The usual MPAA/RIAA douchebaggery, but this one
is fairly serious: there's no need for a notice-takedown procedure, you can just go ahead
and confiscate all the servers and sue the admins for damage - and in this particular case,
since the admins didn't even know about how much copyrighted content was moving through their
system (and they even couldn't have), the damages were calculated according to RIAA mathematics.
As this is a decision which was upheld from a lower court, it is likely to become a legal
precedent for similar cases, which opens doors for further douchebaggery.

It's too much of a legal risk to host anything with user-generated content in Finland right
now, especially since I don't have the time to be constantly monitoring jspwiki.org for all
the content that gets uploaded there. (There's no knowledge yet how this will impact the local
startup scene, but I'm pretty sure the impact won't be beneficiary.)

jspwiki.org gets about 5000 visitors/day. So it's not particularly high traffic. It's running
on a five-year-old 8-core Xeon with 4 gigs of memory (yes, it's a bit overspecced when it
comes to CPU but I got it second hand). However, there are four other wikis on the same machine
(doc.jspwiki.org/2.2, doc.jspwiki.org/2.4, blog.jspwiki.org and sandbox.jspwiki.org). A simple
VM with about a gig of memory should be quite sufficient.

Also, I could transfer jspwiki.org to ASF while we're at it, as long as someone just tells
me what to do :-)

/Janne

On 11 Jul 2012, at 09:26, Florian Holeczek wrote:

> Hi Janne,
>
> that's sad! Just curious, what kind of decision was that? In Germany, we sometimes have
quite weird court decisions, too, but they tend to get better gradually.

> How much load is on the machine? Can you give some details on its current hardware resources
(CPU and RAM) and the network traffic?
> I think one option would be moving to a VM in the Apache infrastructure.
>
> Regards
> Florian
>

> ----- Urspr√ľngliche Mail -----

wiki in Finland and continue as the administrator.  Anybody want to offer server space and
take over the admin duties? Needs Tomcat and a few tens of megs of space.