From Juan Pablo Santos Rodríguez <juanpablo.san...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Throw away 3.0 Re: JSPWiki & Apache Incubation?
Date Tue, 10 Jan 2012 22:59:50 GMT
Hello Frank,

I was just writting pretty much the same thing. It seems that we have two
possible paths towards graduation/development of JSPWiki itself:

Option A - graduate 2.8 branch:
1.- 2.8.5: release current 2.8 as 2.8.5, graduate with it

2.- 2.8.6: rename packages to org.apache.wiki + fix failing unit tests

3.- 2.8.7?: bug fixes

4.- 2.9: in parallel with former point; goals:
  + improve project documentation
  + refactor code in order to ease the initial jump-in, possibly splitting
the code into sub-modules, i.e.: jspwiki-plugins, jspwiki-providers,
jspwiki-filters, jspwiki-workflow, jspwiki-engine and so on. Most probably
means breaking current API, but we would gain simpler, specific APIs
(plugin-api, workflow-api, etc) I have some ideas here, but I think it's
better to discuss this when we reach here.

5.- 2.10/3.0: or the new things happen here - retrieve from community what
should we do next
  + see how to plug stripes + priha JCR provider work from trunk, at least
as modules that could be plugged in. A lot of work has been made in these
areas in current trunk and I think it's a pity just throwing out them.
Also, both frameworks were chosen because they were meant to simplify the
API, and the pluggability of JSPWiki within other systems..
  + multiwiki support
  + enhancements noted by Frank (usb installation, search enhancements)
  + the idea is to select a few, develop them, release a new version,
select a few more, etc.
  + again, we should discuss this when reaching here

pros: seems more community-like, faster graduation, small, incremental
steps

cons: JSPWIKI-382 (remove posteditor.js as it's license is unclear).
Regarding this point, last week I managed to reach posteditor author,
Daniel Mota, to ask him if he could clarify the license. He didn't knew
about JSPWiki, and he was happy to know that his work was being used, so he
said that as soon as he comes back from his holidays he would explicitly
state the license (MIT-license) at the library page, so we could graduate
and use his library. By the way, one question to our mentors: do we have to
wait this explicit statement in order to graduate?

Option B - graduate from current trunk (3.0):
1.- fix at least JSPWIKI-713 and JSPWIKI-714 (and probably others) in order
to release 3.0.0-alpha

2.- graduate from 3.0.0-alpha

3.- refactor + improve documentation (same as former point 4) + bug fixes

4.- release 3.0.0

pros: LOT of work made here
cons: slower pace in order to reach graduation and 3.0.0 final

Seems that option A is more feasible and will have more community support
but, as always, other opinions? Am I missing something? Let's call for vote
in order to decide which path should we follow to reach graduation.

regards,
jp