From Michael Gerzabek <michael.gerza...@gmx.net>
Subject Re: JSPWiki & Apache Incubation?
Date Tue, 03 Jan 2012 08:42:05 GMT
JSPWikiers,

as I put in my previous mail, it's more about the agendas - the implicit
and explicit ones - than a  question about failure. I don't see that
incubation failed! There are just to many people out there that do
interesting things with the software OUTSIDE the JSPWiki repository. And
let me ask those folks:

Why are you doing this? Why do you fork JSPWiki? What value do you see
in this? What does it help you achieve? And what direction would the
trunk of JSPWiki need to evolve, that you would be willing to contribute
and have the value that you want to get out of JSPWiki?

Anyway. The main task I see is this: Get people back on the train. How
to approach? Interestingly the steps are similar to the ones Janne
supposed.

1.) Radically declare the JSPWIKI_2_8_BRANCH as release. This one does
have awesome features and is time tested. Future visions should be based
on that version.

2.) Prepare the necessary reports. This is where I would be willing to
learn what's necessary to do if someone is willing to point me in the
right direction.

3.) Start a discussion about future ideas and steps.

JSPWiki, the one before 3.0.0, is a mature project. Why bother?

One thought about the host. OS is always about people. And it doesn't
matter if the repo is on GitHub, sourceforge or somewhere else. Sure.
But wait a minute. It does matter!

The Apache umbrella brings a widely accepted reputation and has a huge
user group in the Java world. This all ships for a rather small price -
the reports. Compare this to the usual GitHub projects. Many of them are
one-man-shows. The recognition is always just the project alone. No
umbrella. No synergies. So I strongly argue to do the incubation and use
the benefits of beeing a TLP Apache project.

just my two cents,
Michael