From Michael Gerzabek <michael.gerza...@gmx.net>
Subject JSPWiki killed on fast lane? [Re: What steps need to be taken to graduate from the incubator?]
Date Wed, 21 Dec 2011 21:06:51 GMT
Lurking on this list for some time now. Wondering what's going on. Doing
this because JSPWiki used to be a very helpful and proper way of doing
things the web 2.0 way. Having also programmed a couple of plugins.
Don't mind ..

I wonder why you burden yourself with so much work to make an
3.0.0-alpha release?  Is it really necessary or does it make it
undoable? What does it mean that people doing tons of work for versions
up to 2.8.4 stay busy for .. let's say two years? Why program a
completely new backend when the filesystem provider was so handy? Why do
a new design if the current one is clean and proper? I choose JSPWiki
because of the simple versioning mechanism on the file system. Whenever
I wanted I could use the stupid but standard! win editor to look into
revisions .. I thought this was a feature! I choose JSPWiki because of
its clear and easy adoptable design .. I thought this was a feature! ..

Anyway. My question is this. The JIRA says that the renaming of the
packages to org.apache.blah is done and the issue is closed - which
means accepted by the community as correct resolution. Wouldn't that be
enough to release a 3.0.0-RC1 as graduation release - which would in
fact be a 2.8.5 release. Further state that fact on the website, draw a
clear finish/starting line and attract new users as long as not any
lurkers are lost? Then start a discussion on what's REALLY needed, be it
a new look & feel or a super-duper-backend or just bugfixes under the
Apache feather.

A hint on that domain would be: ask the users. They might see things
different ..

my 2 cents,
Michael

Am 21/12/2011 21:02, schrieb Florian Holeczek:
> Hi Sam,
>
> sorry, was simply too busy...
>
> According to our issue tracking database, only the following tasks need to be done for
graduating:

> * Release 3.0.0-incubating-alpha-1
> * IPMC vote to graduate
> * Prepare a charter
>
> This shouldn't be a big deal. Looking at your link, one further (and probably main) issue
is "Demonstrate an active and diverse development community".
> This had already discussed on the list, too. All committers still seem to be quite busy,
however AFAIK basically still willing to contribute.