From Janne Jalkanen <Janne.Jalka...@ecyrd.com>
Subject Re: Releasing 3.0.0-alpha...
Date Sun, 13 Mar 2011 11:01:40 GMT

I tend to agree with Dave here on the principle.  Unfortunately, svn is really lousy at working
with branches, but using Git makes this kind of a development approach extremely beneficial
for everyone.

(Hint: JSPWiki is available at GitHub as well: https://github.com/apache/jspwiki. While svn
is the authoritative source [and is the source of this Git repo], a great way to contribute
is to clone the git repo, make your own feature branch and then attach the patches to the
JIRA [to make sure the legal ticks are placed in the corresponding legal boxes.] On a personal
level, I've already switched to Git everywhere I can, including JSPWiki development. I just
commit to the SVN repo, that's all. The ability to maintain personal branches and local commits
is just the killer feature for me.)

/Janne

On Mar 12, 2011, at 17:46 , Dave Wolf wrote:

> @Florian: There may be different "projects" (feature additions), but unless
> something truely remarkable (tragic?) happens they would always be added
> back into first the targeted release branch and then after release to
> production into the trunk.
>
> In some ways, the trunk becomes somewhat useless and as it only serves as a
> point for branching and merging back later. We also have a CM team who do
> the merging of the release branch back into the trunk when the branch goes
> into production. Then we create a new release branch for the next release
> and development begins anew. The main thread of development flows through
> the release and related "feature" branches.
>
> Really, the only advantage that I see with this model is the explicit
> knowledge that if you're working on a specific version's functionality,
> you'll be using either the release branch or a feature branch off of the
> release branch; rather than the implicit use of the trunk for the current
> development release.
>
> Cheers,
> Dave Wolf
>
> "There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that
> is less than the one you are capable of living." --Nelson Mandela
>

> On Sat, Mar 12, 2011 at 3:34 AM, Florian Holeczek <florian@holeczek.de>wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> @Janne: I think these are two different topics that shouldn't be mixed up.
>> Seems what's lacking are things like a road map, documentation and more or
>> less clear development tasks for new contributors. That way it would be
>> easier for people to join the project. So far, the development process has
>> been working because the "big" contributors were able to do major parts on
>> their own. That has changed, and that's the reason why the development
>> process has been slowing down IMO. The code base is not that small anymore,
>> so it's quite hard for a newbie to continue working on bigger points someone
>> else has begun.
>>
>> @Dave: Thanks for clarifying that different way of repository management.
>> However, I guess the way the code is used was different in your projects:
>> I assume you had a code base and several projects using it. Each project
>> has its own modifications and extensions, based on project specific
>> requirements. In the end, you can have a look at them and judge what is
>> worth merging with the trunk, i.e. what is assumed to be valuable for future
>> projects.
>> Is that correct?
>>
>> Regards
>> Florian

> [...]