From Andrew Jaquith <andrew.r.jaqu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Is there possibility to implement custom automatic authentication? (not web-container based)
Date Tue, 28 Dec 2010 21:15:41 GMT
Alex:

Thanks for your message. In general, WebContainerLoginModule isn't
meant to be replaced. Its primary job is to allow container-managed
credentials to be picked up automatically by JSPWiki.

The best solution for you would be to add a servlet filter upstream
from JSPWiki that wraps the current HTTPServletRequest. It would
ensure that the return value of getPrincipal() returns the value you
want. JSPWiki will then dutifully retrieve the user principal you
supply and regard the user as logged in.

@Janne: I hadn't seen Shiro before. Conceptually it does pretty much
everything our own system does, and more. It looks like it's well
designed, too. The design choices they made seem to be pretty similar
to the ones I made: e.g., the use of annotations for protecting
methods, custom permission schemes, separation of authN and authZ,
etc. And the "remembered" login feature is more or less what we call
"asserted" logins. Were I building a webapp from scratch, I'd probably
take a good long look at Shiro.

Andrew