From Andrew Jaquith <andrew.r.jaqu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: 2 last failing unit tests
Date Mon, 02 Nov 2009 17:28:27 GMT
This discussion is losing sight of an important point. We have a
unique opportunity with 3.0 to do whatever we want. After all, admins
will need to import all of their pages from 2.x into 3.0. When that
happens, we can do any normalization that is needed.

So, I'd urge us to think carefully about this issue. I don't want
"fuzzy logic" because too often that means fuzzy thinking. We should
strive for the simplest page-resolution algorithm we can design, with
the fewest special cases. The current 3.0 scheme is too complex.

My suggested strategy would be to have a simple naming and resolution
scheme, and fix with the edge cases at migration time. There are only
two rules:

(1) Pages with spaces in their names are normalized so that any
consecutive whitespace is changed to one space character. Cases would
be preserved on storage.

(2) Comparisons would be done by stripping out all whitespace and
doing a case-insensitive comparisons

To ensure that these two rules can be enforced, we need to deal with
the edge cases. So, I suggest that:

(3) When the page repository is migrated, on import, "clashing" links
would be modified so that they do not conflict. So if two pages called
"A test" and "atest" existed, the second one would be renamed to
"atest_2" (as would all its references).

I think this would simplify things nicely.

Andrew