From "Dalen, Andre van" <andre.van.da...@siemens.com>
Subject RE: Restart logging?
Date Mon, 07 Sep 2009 09:43:09 GMT

> Another possibility is to switch to Simple logging, which always goes

> to stdout - in Tomcat's case, catalina.out.  Then there would be no
> need to provide configuration on Install.jsp, which would simplify our

> install process even more.

Such simple logging would not give enough control on resource use.
It would be better imho to switch to log4j instead.

Eventually a reload is shorthand for the sequence shutdown, startup.
Logging libraries should give their user control over when the shutdown
happens
exactly, so I would assume a reload won't be a problem if implemented
as a shutdown of the logging subsystem followed by a startup.

	regards, Andre