From Murray Altheim <murra...@altheim.com>
Subject Re: Spam package redesign
Date Sat, 26 Sep 2009 02:03:37 GMT
Andrew Jaquith wrote:
 > You could certainly do that with the package as I've described it --
 > the pseudo-subject or facet is what I called a Score "category," if I
 > catch your meaning.

Hi Andrew,

I'm not sure what the correct library term would be, except that if
you look into Faceted Classification (FC) there's the concept of a
subject, rather than being an enumeration (ala Dewey), is comprised
of facets, with the individual facets themselves composite subjects,
eventually drilling recursively down until one reaches some idea of
a 'core' facet (though it's easy to argue that no such core exists
or even could, that facets are themselves subjects and recurse as
well).

   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faceted_classification

You may know that I have been involved in the Topic Map standards
work and by some minor coincidence Steve Pepper's last message into
the TopicMapMail mailing list is very much in line with this subject-
centric thinking, and I've attached it [1] as it is likely informative.

So 'category' is fine. I was just trying to think of some term that
might describe the components that together build a given subject,
with FC being a very useful framework.

 > I'll take this as a vote of confidence -- when I check it in (in the
 > next few weeks probably), you'll be able to see the code for yourself.
 > :)

Yes it sounds very promising, thanks!

Murray

[1] Re: [topicmapmail] Weekly binge : Do we care about subjects that much?
     Steve Pepper message of 24 September 2009 into the TopicMapMail
     <topicmapmail@infoloom.com> mailing list
Murray Altheim <murray09 at altheim dot com>                       ===  = =

                                       -- The Blue Cliff Record