From Harry Metske <harry.met...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Restart logging?
Date Sun, 06 Sep 2009 16:45:22 GMT
Well,

we have our own logging layer (org.apache.wiki.log) which talks to slf4j
which talks to a real logging implementation (with log4j as the default).
The first two don't have support for configuring logging at all, the writer
of slf4j says you also shouldn't :
http://www.slf4j.org/faq.html#configure_logging
Log4j itself does support dynamic configuration of logging, but that has
explicitly not been put in the slf4j interface.

We do however have some way of dynamically configuring our loggers, and
that's through the MBeans (currently you have to use jconsole to do it, but
a nice GUI for it would still be nice). This is however limited.

So with "restart logging" you could something in that direction, but again,
that is limited to log4j, if you run another logging implementation, you are
left alone in the dark.

BTW, what exactly would be the difference between restarting the engine and
reloading the whole webapp ?

regards,
Harry