From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Status report for April
Date Tue, 31 Mar 2009 18:44:41 GMT

On Mar 31, 2009, at 11:18 AM, Janne Jalkanen wrote:

>> The first release in the incubator need not be a final production-
>> ready release. So I'd suggest either an alpha or a beta release.
>> There are folks who will need some time to update their plugins
>> with the new package names, and feedback from these folks might
>> well be gated by having a release that is advertised as close to
>> final in terms of interface. Doesn't need to be close to
>> production, just close to what we expect the final package to look
>> like.
>
> I think it's fairly clear that we won't get even alpha quality.
> There are just so many things broken in it right now, but if that's
> okay...  We should probably skip binary packages so that people
> realize that this is not something you should deploy.

If we're not even ready for an alpha, then I don't want to push too
much. We can wait until things stabilize a bit more.

>> This guideline for releases while incubating is required reading
>> (and don't be put off by its size; it shouldn't take more than a
>> couple of hours to digest...;-) http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html
>
> I think we've been pretty much using these rules already to release
> 2.8.x :-), so this shouldn't be a big issue.
>
>> Finally, do we have a volunteer to spin the release?
>
> I added the build scripts that are currently used to build-and-
> release JSPWiki 2.8 to the /scripts/ directory of the JSPWiki
> repository (on the same level as /trunk and /branches), for public
> interest (and for the eventuality that someone will probably want to
> start spinning releases). The build_jspwiki_nightly script

This should be amended to include the Apache license. And to
generate .tar.gz artifacts. And sign the artifacts. And post the RAT http://code.google.com/p/arat/

  output.

> already works on people.apache.org, and I'm running preliminary
> nightlies at
>
> http://people.apache.org/~jalkanen/JSPWiki/nightly/
>
> I hope to move my current nightly builds from ecyrd.com to
> people.apache.org (assuming I'm not doing a faux pas).

Nothing wrong with posting nightly builds on your individual area of
Apache. Of course, there are more artifacts needed for a release than
you've got posted on your nightly area. Look at other projects to see
details, but generally the file naming convention needs to be looked
at, and include signatures on all artifacts, consider having tar.gz
format in addition to zip format.

So the report might just indicate that we're starting to practice
making Apache releases.

Craig

> /Janne

Craig L Russell