From Janne Jalkanen <janne.jalka...@ecyrd.com>
Subject Re: Winstone/CDDL
Date Thu, 26 Mar 2009 14:27:59 GMT
> Sorry, I should have been a little more clear. The problem isn't with
> Jetty per se. The problem is with TestContainer... the embedded Jetty
> launcher class I wrote. It just doesn't work, and I can't figure out
> how to fix it. When I first wrote TestContainer, I spent only enough
> time writing it to make it work minimally. Then something broke it. I
> do not have the time or energy to fix it.

Ah, gotcha.  Then I don't worry too much about it :-)

> It turns out, pretty hard. TestContainer has to wire all that "other"
> stuff up programmatically -- precisely because we don't want or need
> to include the entire Jetty stack in the JSPWiki distro. It wasn't
> simple to write because there's very little documentation. Even worse,
> we had to use Jetty 5.1 because that's what Selenium uses. But Jetty
> is now at version 7, meaning the one we use in our test harness is
> damned ancient.

Yeah, and we had trouble accepting the wiki-on-a-stick patch because
of Jetty version inconsistencies as well.

> As for commons-logging, we "shouldn't" need to run it, I agree. At the
> moment the only way Winstone will run is if we include it. But perhaps
> someone who's more expert at logging can help me with this.

You should be able to just add jcl-over-slf4j-1.5.x.jar in the
classpath, and all logging should be done then by slf4j automatically.

Then I don't see a big problem. I'm kinda iffy adding any CDDL
dependencies, but if we use it only on testing and use it as-is and
you add the necessary legal incantations into the LICENSE and NOTICE
files, then I think it should be fine.

/Janne