From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Summary of votes for Andrew's 3 items
Date Sat, 03 Jan 2009 20:44:48 GMT

On Jan 3, 2009, at 10:35 AM, Andrew R Jaquith wrote:

> ITEM 3.
> Creation of the .api package/package tree, and creation of various
> types in this package/package tree (e.g., WikiEngine, WikiPage) for
> stable interfaces.
>
> Murray: -1
> Andrew: -1
> Harry: -1 (but would like to re-evaluate in a few months)
> Janne: +1
> Florian: +1
> Christophe: +1
>
> Totals: +3 for, -3 against.
> Conclusion: As this vote suggests, we have no consensus on this
> point. I'd like a little guidance from our Apache Incubator mentors
> on how to proceed.

It seems to me that the issue is whether to pull all of the proposed
stable interfaces out of where they currently reside into a new
location.

I don't have an answer for how to achieve consensus here. I understand
Murray's point that moving an interface or class is itself disruptive,
not stable. On the other hand, changing the package from ecyrd to
apache is equally disruptive and will need to be done at some point
anyway.

I don't have the high level view of the intended usage of the
interfaces / base classes, so I won't comment on the technical merits
for jspwiki. I've seen interfaces used to great effect in other
projects where the entire interaction with the project was through
defined, stable interfaces. And as I've mentioned before, subclassing
gives a lot of flexibility where you don't want to be responsible for
overriding every behavior of an implementation.

It might be a good exercise for everyone to review what Janne has
already proposed in the .api package and evaluate whether it's a good
start or not.

Craig

> Andrew

Craig L Russell