From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Vote requested: package renaming
Date Tue, 30 Dec 2008 18:37:06 GMT
Hi,

I'll put my mentor hat on, for now.

It's good to have the discussion over the future of the project, and
it looks like the discussion here is timely.

Janne's reply regarding timing of the rename is worth respecting. I
would like to see more communication to the group regarding the
expected conclusion of the JCR work. I would not like to see JCR delay
the project for more than a couple of months. One reason for a
community of folks working on the project. So while there's no need to
rush things that are coming up quickly, we should try to avoid losing
momentum.

The rest of this post is my technical feedback.

Refactoring interfaces from classes needs a corresponding class
factory. Has this been thought through? There are good reasons for
interfaces with factories, primarily driven by needing multiple
independent implementations. But classes with exernally-written
subclasses are also a good approach if most subclasses just need to
change a small bit of behavior.

Splitting the stable interfaces apart from the implementation doesn't
necessarily need a new package name. Either org.apache.jspwiki or
org.apache.jspwiki.api could be used.

Craig

Craig L Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com