From Murray Altheim <murra...@altheim.com>
Subject Re: WikiName
Date Tue, 09 Dec 2008 00:39:05 GMT
Janne Jalkanen wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I just checked in a new class called WikiName (in the *.content-package)
> into the JSPWIKI_JCR_BRANCH.  The point of this class is to make it
> easier to support a multiwiki/subpage setup (so that we don't have to
> keep parsing/reparsing the paths in String format).  It's a fairly
> straightforward thing to add transparent support to WikiPage as well.
>
> Since it's not really that dependent on JCR itself, I'm wondering if it
> would make sense to check it into the trunk as well.  Could you please
> check if it's a good or a bad idea, and whether it's ok to add to the
> trunk - and most importantly, would it make your life easier or harder?
> [I would imagine this would make Andrew's job easier at least.]

Janne,

I haven't had a chance to check out any recent code, but one of the
issues I brought up a loooonng time ago now when the change occurred
was the new "feature" that permitted whitespace in WikiNames. This
has been no end of a hassle with users, as they *often* create pages
with whitespace in them (accidentally or deliberately), and then
have difficulties referring to the pages, or end up with two pages,
one with and one without the space (e.g., "JohnSmith" and "John Smith"
/ "John%20Smith"). I find myself fixing page names and trying to
explain what is going on. I never had difficulty explaining camelcase
names.

What I'd love to see would be some utility in the new class to either
normalise the names in either direction (to either permit or prohibit
whitespace), or a flag that when true simply eliminated the whitespace
on the name parameter in the constructor.

The presence of whitespace in page names will (to my mind) be only
made worse with the possibility of whitespace in path/directory/
namespace names. Users generally do not want to deal with these
kinds of issues, and they have a heck of a time with "%20" showing
up in paths and URLs that they sometimes have to type or otherwise
share with others.

Murray

Murray Altheim <murray08 at altheim dot com>                       ===  = =

                                       -- The Blue Cliff Record