From Janne Jalkanen <janne.jalka...@iki.fi>
Subject Re: Vote requested: package renaming
Date Tue, 30 Dec 2008 17:19:10 GMT
Hi.

Calling for a vote is a failure, IMNSHO.

/Janne

> Immediate renaming of all packages from com.ecyrd.jspwiki to
> org.apache.jspwiki, so that we can move to release an early alpha
> Apache build.

-1.

If this is done, JCR work will halt.  I am already in deep trouble
with merges and I don't want any more problems.

> ITEM 2.
> Refactoring concrete classes (e.g., WikiEngine) into interfaces
> whenever possible, and supplementing them with factory interfaces if
> warranted (e.g., interface WikiEngineFactory).

-1.

We need to design new interfaces for some classes, such as WikiEngine,
instead of just blindly changing them into interfaces.

However, I agree with the sentiment of refactoring stuff into
interfaces, I just disagree with the idea of "just turn them into
interfaces".  If this is not your intention, the proposal is drafted
wrong and needs to be rewritten and revoted on.

This is one of the reasons I wanted to create the API package, so that
people could review it *outside* from the preconceptions of the
existing classes.  Unfortunately, the discussion has not been about
the APIs themselves, but only about where they are located, which has
been extremely disappointing.

We should be debating about each method whether it should be included
or excluded, not about where it should be (which is largely hidden by
the IDE anyway).

> Creation of the .api package/package tree, and creation of various
> types in this package/package tree (e.g., WikiEngine, WikiPage) for
> stable interfaces.

+1.  I think this is absolutely mandatory, if we want to have stable
interfaces.

Why did you call a vote if you were going to veto it anyway?

/Janne