From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Vote requested: package renaming
Date Tue, 30 Dec 2008 23:09:22 GMT

On Dec 30, 2008, at 12:27 PM, Harry Metske wrote:

> ITEM 1:
> - I understand it is necessary, if it would be up to me it could be
> done
> right now, the JCR stuff can be committed to the trunk if that
> relieves
> Janne from the merging pain (3.0.0 does not work anyway right now).
>
> Perhaps Craig should tell us how "urgent"  it is because of the
> incubation
> proces.

There's nothing "urgent" in terms of the process. The urgency is in
avoidance of stopping forward progress by the entire team waiting for
Janne to finish JCR.

While the incubator wants to see projects flourish and graduate,
there's no artificial time line.

> Janne should advise us about this, if JCR is committed to the trunk,
> can we
> help make it work ? Or will it stay broken for months.

I think Janne has identified the major issues as being architecture
around the interdependency between the chicken and the egg (hope I got
this right).

So from my perspective, everyone is agreed that JCR is an important
part of the project. 3.0.0 doesn't work right now. 3.0.0 with JCR
won't work either. Other team members might be able to contribute to
the thinking around how to make 3.0.0 work with JCR.

Not to jump too far forward, but perhaps merging JCR to trunk and
renaming the packages now is the right thing to do?

Craig

Craig L Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!