From Janne Jalkanen <Janne.Jalka...@ecyrd.com>
Subject Re: JSPWiki 2.8.0 branch
Date Thu, 16 Oct 2008 20:03:13 GMT

I know, that's what we've been doing for a long time now.  But it
feels kinda stupid, because with 2.8 it went like this:

2.6.0
2.7.0-svn-1
2.7.0-svn-2
2.7.0-svn-3
2.7.0-svn-xx
2.8.0-alpha-1

So we ended up in a situation that the 2.7.x never really existed,
and we never really used those numbers for anything.  It just served
as a "tag" for the build number.  It made more sense when the build
number was the MINORREVISION.

The other problem is that for stable versions development versions
are marked differently, since they are at "next version-svn-xx",
where xx is the build number.  E.g. after 2.8.0 stable release we
have 2.8.1-svn-1, which reads as "the first svn build of 2.8.1".

However, if we keep 2.9 in the loop somewhere, the same logic does
not apply, since 2.9.0-svn-1 is "the first svn build of 2.9.0, except
that 2.9.0 will never exist as a release, and it's really the first
svn build of 3.0.0, but we're not just calling it that, because of...
some reason."

(As a note: the Linux kernel, from which this even-odd alternating
was originally copied from, stopped doing it because it was too
confusing to people, and they developed a better development model
which didn't require it anymore.)

/Janne