From Murray Altheim <murra...@altheim.com>
Subject Re: JavaDB/Apache Derby as a WikiPageProvider?
Date Tue, 14 Oct 2008 12:47:38 GMT
Terry Steichen wrote:
> Murray,
>
> I use Derby (I think it's version 10.1.3.1)  to implement
> JDBCPageProvider (though not the latest version).  A few quirks to get
> started, but basically have no complaints on its performance.

Hi Terry,

Is this the code found at http://jdbcprovider.berlios.de/? Or
are you referring to a different JDBCPageProvider? Not that I've
been following along on that but I thought that project was
basically stagnant (e.g., last release was March 2007). Mikkel
Troest in the Help mailing list writes:

 > 2008-Aug-24 21:02
 > Hi Jonathan,
 >
 > I'm afraid JDBCProvider does not work with JSPWiki 2.6.
 > Something in the page API changed, and JDBCProvider has not
 > been updated to support the new API.
 >
 > I think I heard that the JSPWiki dev team is looking into
 > using JCR (Apache JackRabbit) as backend for some future
 > release of JSPWiki. This will actually obsolete the
 > JDBCProvider project, since JCR can be configured to use
 > an RDBMS as a back-end in turn.
 >
 > Personally, I do not have the time to research the current
 > JSPWiki page API, and I think the other JDBCProvider
 > developers are at least as busy with their day jobs as I am.
 > My best advise, then, is for you to ask on the JSPWiki
 > users list what the status for the JCR integration is.
 > If it's several releases in the future, I might help you
 > out by cooking up a release of JDBCProvider that works with
 > the current JSPWiki. There doesn't seem to be that much
 > demand for it, though.

But good to hear that Derby seems like a good fit otherwise...
given that Janne has started heating up the Priha frying pan
I might try cracking a few eggs. I was originally thinking of
writing a BerkeleyDB JE backend for Priha but a JavaDB one
might be even better, esp. if there'd be no need for Berkeley.

Thanks,

Murray

                                       -- The Blue Cliff Record