From Murray Altheim <murra...@altheim.com>
Subject Re: JavaDB/Apache Derby as a WikiPageProvider?
Date Tue, 14 Oct 2008 12:00:27 GMT
Siegfried Goeschl wrote:
> Hi Murray,
>
> +) mySQL was purchased by Sun in January so it has Sun's blessing ... ;-)
> +) I'm soooo fed up with embedded HSQLDB that I might have look at
> embedding Apache Derby (running Derby in the same JVM as my application)

Hi Siegfried,

Yes, I would have thought MySQL would be an suitable alternative given
its new owner, but apparently not (currently, only in special-cases).
I can't say there's any logic in these decisions... One of the
advantages that JavaDB may have is simply a lack of history amongst
those who have been stating that we must use Oracle for SQL DBs.

For me, JavaDB is attractive since it's light weight and can be
embedded fairly easily. Over the years I've used dbXML/Xindice and a
few others, eventually settling on BerkeleyDB JE for my current
embedded DB needs. Going with JavaDB would have the advantage of
being both embeddable but then having a migration path to a client-
server SQL DB, then if we needed big iron (or approval) we could
migrate to Oracle. But I can never understand why management prefers
to pay for software when they can get it free.

Thanks,

Murray

                                       -- The Blue Cliff Record