From Murray Altheim <murra...@altheim.com>
Subject Re: Priha
Date Sun, 05 Oct 2008 10:55:22 GMT
Janne Jalkanen wrote:
>> I'm curious to know why this might be, e.g., would this be true on
>> a RieserFS linux machine? Is this limitation based on the OS or on
>> the Priha implementation? If the latter, why? (I'd like to avoid
>> the same issues if I were to build a Berkeley DB backend).
>
> This is actually a discussion better suited on the priha-dev mailing
> list :-).

Point taken. :-)

> Anyhoo, the reason why it does not currently scale is the fact that UUID
> mappings are O(N) (or might be O(N^2), haven't checked) because of a
> simplistic implementation.  This is not a problem for the current JDBC
> implementation, because it stores UUIDs with the nodes themselves (and
> therefore can be fetched with a simple JOIN).  With an index it's
> essentially an O(log N) op.

If it's an ID issue and you don't *need* UUID I've got an implementation
of an ID generator that can pop up unique IDs at about 1/5ms speed on a
typical laptop, and (within the realm of reason) would be globally unique
as well. I haven't had a chance to look into the code so I may be barking
up the wrong tree here but I thought I'd mention it.

> The FileProvider impl is fixable, once I (or someone else) starts
> thinking about it.  Optimizing something like this is going to be pretty
> cool ;-).  My stats are currently showing that 99% of the performance is
> in the storage layer, but the tests are quite simplistic.  But working
> on this is quite a different beast from JSPWiki, where you need to
> understand quite a lot of code to help - for Priha, you can start
> working on really small bits and have a huge impact in the performance.

Sounds like fun. Like I mentioned I'll hopefully know this week what my
availability will be for this (otherwise it'd be on my own time).

Murray

                                       -- The Blue Cliff Record