From Andrew Jaquith <andrew.jaqu...@me.com>
Subject Re: Javascript jollies (was: weird access rights issue)
Date Wed, 20 Aug 2008 17:23:55 GMT
Selenium would help immensely. During the 2.8 coding cycle, I
refactored the web unit tests so that they would run without any
external dependencies. The rationale was that we needed to make it
easier to create and run web unit tests. Certainly, we can (and
should) use Selenium more to test JavaScript functionality.

The nice thing about Selenium is that you can use the Firefox Selenium-
IDE plugin to "record" the test session. Then, with a little light
editing you can turn it into test that runs as part of the "webtests"
Ant target. See the mostly-accurate docs in tests/etc/selenium/
readme.txt.

The bad thing about Selenium is that it does NOT seem to work with
Firefox 3 yet. However, Firefox 2, IE, Safari etc. seem to work fine.

Regarding the other comments about JavaScript dependencies in JSPWiki,
everyone has made good points so far. I agree that we will need move
certain functions from the client to the server at some point --
ESPECIALLY for any client-side code that manipulates session state. By
"manipulating session state," I MOSTLY mean server-side (JSP, servlet,
core) code whose processing depends on client-supplied cookies.

In the short term, we should probably file JIRA issues as reminders
for things that should be moved.

Andrew