From Janne Jalkanen <Janne.Jalka...@ecyrd.com>
Subject Re: Controllable API
Date Wed, 25 Jun 2008 07:22:00 GMT
> Except I just realized that there might be a requirement for
> dependency
> management. For example, a large number of my plugins are queries of
> one sort or another, so they often extend QueryPlugin, or extend an
> extension of QueryPlugin. If an admin turned off QueryPlugin a whole
> lot of plugins would fail, and relatively inexplicably. Perhaps a
> simple
> reflection check of what the plugin extends would work, or just rely
> on documentation, which is perhaps not as elegant but gets us to a
> solution a lot faster.

I think this sounds like overengineering.  Your plugins should check
for this sort of stuff on their own, and log/output stuff when they
are being used.  If you start doing dependency management inside the
JSPWiki code, you'll probably end up shooting yourself in the foot
with circular references and really complex boolean logic.

Just try shooting for something really simple.

/Janne