From Murray Altheim <murra...@altheim.com>
Subject Re: Controllable API
Date Tue, 24 Jun 2008 21:15:25 GMT
Janne Jalkanen wrote:
>> It occurs to me to create a very simple "Controllable" API and
>> add a minor callout in the PluginManager to disable the function
>> of a plugin based on it occurring in an excluded list, or enable
>> it based on an included list (either? both?). A disabled plugin
>> would either be entirely ignored by the parser/PluginManager,
>> return an empty string, or some kind of error message (this might
>> be defined by the API). I'm thinking of writing some kind of UI
>> or JSP to permit an administrator to individually set a flag for
>> each plugin.
>
> I was actually going to do something like that but sort of ran out of
> time.  Admin.jsp allows you to list all the installed plugins, and the
> idea was that you could turn plugins (well, any kind of modules:
> filters, editors, etc) on and off from there.
>
> Essentially it would mean a new field in the WikiModuleInfo, and
> necessary code in the PluginManager.  I would most prefer if the UI were
> in the form of an AdminBean.

This is where all of the new code complexity begins to show its downside.
How many new technologies would I have to learn to be able to write this
nowadays? I must admit I've not spent much time dealing with beans at all,
and certainly haven't looked into the com.ecyrd.jspwiki.ui.admin.*
package in any detail, nor the WikiInfoModule, nor Struts, nor JMX. So I
can understand why you might have ran out of time. I'm hoppiing JSPWiki
hasn't gotten to the point where people can't hack it anymore. If I'm
required to learn a number of new, complex tools I'll probably not have
the time either, such is my schedule of late.

Any suggestions on a fast(er) way through this? I'll take a look at
Admin.jsp, etc.  Basically, if you have a roadmap on what actually needs
to be done (in some detail) I could better ascertain whether or not I'll
have time to do it. That roadmap would then enable me or someone else to
implement the idea.

Thanks,

Murray

                                       -- The Blue Cliff Record