From Florian Holeczek <flor...@holeczek.de>
Subject Re: 2.8 & 2.8.1
Date Fri, 20 Jun 2008 06:46:54 GMT
Hi all,

> I opened a new version in the issue tracker: 2.8.1.  Please push
> stuff you think we can live without in 2.8 to 2.8.1... I'm not sure
> whether we want to do everything that's still left for 2.8.  Now that
> it's all Apache-licensed, there isn't that much need to hold stuff
> back anymore.  Probably better to go into beta with what we have now
> (+whatever is mandatory), and then add bits on top of it.

According to http://www.jspwiki.org/wiki/VersioningProposal this is
fine. But don't forget about:
"Forward and backward compatibility within the same major.minor
revision is retained."

> And, as a part of the incubation process, we need to do at least one
> full "incubator" release to learn the ropes ;-)

I've got a few tips regarding this... I'm also reading the Jackrabbit
mailing list and there have been discussions on the following points:

* What's getting released and voted on is the source code, not the
  binaries. Binaries are just for user's comfort.
* Votes on releases should therefore be based on building the project
  from source and testing it with success.

These are points that are quite important to the ASF, Roy Fielding
himself had joined these discussions.

See the following threads for details:
http://www.nabble.com/Concerns-about-release-vote-behaviour-to16793535.html#a16793535
http://www.nabble.com/Sources-in-releases-(Was%3A--VOTE--Release-jackrabbit-jcr-commons-1.4.1)-to16315380.html#a16317011

Another point: Janne, don't you have to do a monthly report on the
project status? On the Jackrabbit mailing list, da draft of it is
published before handling it in.

Regards,
 Florian