From "Mattier, Ricardo" <Ricardo.Matt...@bcbsma.com>
Subject RE: Controllable API
Date Wed, 25 Jun 2008 13:38:02 GMT

There are some plugins that worked in the previous iterations of JSPWiki
such as [{Table}] which seem to be broken in 2.6.3. How should we go
about fixing those plugins?

Rick M.

-----Original Message-----
From: Janne Jalkanen [mailto:Janne.Jalkanen@ecyrd.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 25, 2008 3:22 AM
To: jspwiki-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Controllable API

> Except I just realized that there might be a requirement for
> dependency
> management. For example, a large number of my plugins are queries of
> one sort or another, so they often extend QueryPlugin, or extend an
> extension of QueryPlugin. If an admin turned off QueryPlugin a whole
> lot of plugins would fail, and relatively inexplicably. Perhaps a
> simple
> reflection check of what the plugin extends would work, or just rely
> on documentation, which is perhaps not as elegant but gets us to a
> solution a lot faster.

I think this sounds like overengineering.  Your plugins should check
for this sort of stuff on their own, and log/output stuff when they
are being used.  If you start doing dependency management inside the
JSPWiki code, you'll probably end up shooting yourself in the foot
with circular references and really complex boolean logic.

Just try shooting for something really simple.

/Janne

This message is a PRIVATE communication.
If you are not the intended recipient, please do not read, copy
or use it and do not disclose it to others.  Please notify the
sender of the delivery error by replying to this message and then
delete from your system.  Thank you.