From Florian Holeczek <flor...@holeczek.de>
Subject Higher level project documentation, Was: Re: Other 2.6.2 changes
Date Thu, 08 May 2008 17:39:24 GMT
Hi there,

> Yes, I can certainly see what the issue here is - we are lacking
> some "big picture" documentation. The Javadocs are great if you know
> what you are doing, but if you don't know what the feature is and
> how it fits in the JSPWiki architecture, it's not that clear. HOWTOs
> and tutorials would be great, too.

that's the essence!

Aren't there any tools which could analyze a code base and generate a
project map / graphical class overview with dependencies a.s.o.?

> However, I can't stress enough the fact that this is a collaborative
> project, and as such, we *need* more people who can write concise
> documentation, howtos, architecture diagrams, etc.  This beast is too
> big for any single person to ride anymore, so please do help us :-).

Well I think, the big picture documentation can only be done by people
who at least have enough overview on the project and its history.
Since the project is growing more and more, this should be done very
soon...
* before the situation gets worse, and it will.
* because the larger the project becomes, the more important this kind
  of documentation will be for new developers and also for the project
  lead to plan the future of the project.

Regards,
 Florian